I, however, am not so optimistic. I think this is going to be an incredibly close election with a very good chance that McCain pulls it out. Why? Because McCain enjoys a relationship with the press that no other major politician enjoys. They love him and will not cover him in a critical light. This is very reminiscent to the way that the press treated Bush, except they managed the press through fear and not through camaraderie.
We have already seen a few examples of how this is working itself out on the campaign trail. For example:
- The post below- McCain's military record cannot be questioned
- Similarities between Bush and McCain- Josh Marshall has a lovely rundown on how the media has made it clear that McCain is not like Bush
- McCain's dust up with the FEC- He has broken campaign finance law but there is barely mention made of this.
- McCain's wife- Terry Heinz had to report all of her income in 2004, but Cindy does not have to offer full disclosure.
- C@#tgate- while this is a rumor, the press has happily spun thinner ones against Obama.