In a all-to-common attempt by Republican hacks to shill for the ultra-rich and corporations, we have Exhibit A: that malpractice suits drive up medical care. The facts? “Portraits of a malpractice system that is stricken with frivolous litigation are overblown.”
The Center for Justice and Democracy points out the following facts from this article:
- Most injuries that result in claims are caused by medical error.
- Claims typically involve injuries that are severe.
- Even though the large majority of claims (63 percent) involve error, those that do not involve error are not “frivolous.”
- The vast majority of resources go toward resolving and paying claims that involve errors.
- Most instances of medical malpractice do not result in a lawsuit.
- Few claims result in court trial and with regard to those that do, juries are conservative.